Seismograms - And Teachers Guide For Studies Of The Alaskan Earthquake Of 1964
This product is currently sold out.
Guided activities in which students:
- Read a seismogram.
- Convert times between time zones.
- Locate points by latitude and longitude.
- Determine arrival times of various earthquakes and their wave types.
- Determine the distance to an earthquake using a travel-time curve.
- Determine the location of an epicenter using the three-circle method.
- Determine the velocities of P and S waves and relate these speeds to the kinds of rocks these waves passed through within the earth.
Secondary Seismogram Kit Includes:
- 12 exact size photographic copies of seismograms showing the 48-hour period of the 1964 Alaskan earthquake and aftershocks.
- A 40-page teacher’s guide that provides detailed information on interpreting the seismograms. The guide describes how to develop activities based on the arrival times of various seismic waves.
- Maps, tables, and charts, which may be copied. Material is suitable for developing two to 20 hours of science labs, and is ideal for supplementary and individualized study.
Recommended for Secondary Grades.