Investigating Plate Tectonics
Guided activities in which students:
- Take simulated trips to collect geological and biological evidence from five continents.
- Analyze data from three time periods, the patterns of ancient glacial grooves, convergently evolved anteaters.
- Reconstruct the separation of the continents of Gondwanaland.
The Plate Tectonics Kit includes:
- Eight posters of five continents of Gondwanaland: Africa, India, South America, Australia, and Antarctica. Continents must be cut out of the posters and can be either laminated or mounted.
- Maps color-coded to four time periods (300, 200, 100 million years ago, and the present). The guide describes how to develop activities based on the arrival times of various seismic waves.
- Fossils, glacial grooves, and living anteaters and worms pictured on the maps.
- 20-page teacher’s guide with a complete reproducible student study guide.
Recommended for Grades 6-12.